Sunday, June 20, 2010

Inquiring Mind says "yes!"

Good news to report! On June 3rd, in Moses Lake, WA, I auditioned for Humanities Washington to become a speaker for the Inquiring Mind program. On June 14th, I received notification that I had been accepted and will be sent for training and orientation in Seattle on August 2nd. This is a wonderful opportunity to be paid to travel throughout the state and give programs about my favorite subject..Phoebe Goodell Judson. Many thanks are owed to John Findlay, Professor of History at University of Washington, who gave me a glowing recommendation and a beautifully written letter for my audition folder. I am now working on creating an actual historic character, Cornelia Mahler, for a "Living History" portrayal. Cornelia appears on page 267 of the paperback version of Phoebe's book (although not named)and this is, I think, one of the most dramatic stories in the book. Family genealogist, Carolyn Stone, and I are seeking living descendants of Cornelia Mahler to find out more about her. The new Inquiring Mind Speakers List (open to schools, libraries, museums and other non-profits) will be effective September first and I will begin my career as a professional historian/lecturer for the State of Washington. Wish me luck and lots of wonderful, adventure-filled bookings!

No comments:

Post a Comment